Wednesday, September 19, 2007

PDT IDE and Netbeans IDE updated.

Good week for IDEs. PDT, the eclipse based PHP IDE and Netbeans both have major releases.

PDT is one the leading PHP IDEs and the closest to an "official" open source PHP IDE project, having the support of Zend and other major players. There are several other PHP IDEs including other eclipse options but I believe PDT will become the dominate one if it isn't already. Zend's pro IDE, currently a standalone project, is transitioning to Eclipse and I believe will eventually be a PDT++ kind of thing.

I haven't been a strong user of IDEs for PHP work historically but have decided to move my php development into PDT as much as possible. I'm pretty happy with it so far and really appreciate the integration of other eclipse tools like Subversion support. The Aptana project is adding more PHP support but I believe that PDT is better for serious PHP development like that needed to support Zend Framework or CakePHP.

The other news is Netbeans 6.0 moving into beta. Netbeans is primarily a Java IDE and was my favorite when I was doing java work. I haven't worked in java for a while so I haven't kept up with Netbeans but the new version also has strong support for Ruby and Ruby on Rails. The buzz is growing around it and I think could be a really big deal moving forward. It will be interesting to see how this develops compared to Aptana's Rails support.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Thanks for the heads up on PDT. I have just down loaded it and it looks promising. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Ron

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home