Monday, September 17, 2007

JQuery 1.2 (and 1.2.1!)

A little late blogging this but I haven't even had a chance to play with it yet. JQuery 1.2 is finally out with several big changes. XPath selectors have been moved into a separate plugin. CSS style selectors are really the more natural way to work in JQuery anyway and the plugin gives backwards compatibility if you need it, so a good move I think.

There are a lot of new functions to DOM manipulation including a slice function that works like array slicing and clarifications to the Ajax features. The whole thing is still only 26k packed and can be shrunk down to 14k with gzipping.

The 1.2.1 update restores the eq function and fixes a relative animation issue. eq had been dropped because it was seen as overlapping with the more capable slice command but is so widely used that it was brought back.

The bigger news is probably the new UI toolkit at http://ui.jquery.com/. I've barely looked at this but given the high quality of the UI elements I've seen built on top of jQuery I'm expecting great things. The widgets include Accordion, Calendar, Dialog, Slider, Tablesorter, Tabs. I've been using the Yahoo kit a lot, especially for the calendar, so I'm hoping this kit can replace a lot of my use of that. JQuery and Yahoo's YUI kit get along fine but it just makes more sense to use one kit if possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home